Skip to main content

Six of the Best, Part 11


Part 11 of an interview series in which I invite artists to respond to six questions about art, process, and creativity (Part 1Part 2Part 3,Part 4Part 5Part 6Part 7Part 8Part 9, Part 10). Today's artist is UK-based painter Jina Wallwork -- who, according to her Google Plus Profile, has exhibited her work alongside people like Jeff Koons, Yoko Ono, and Grayson Perry. You can see more of her visionary paintings here.

"A Soul Entering the Universe for the First Time," acrylic on canvas, 50" x 40"

Philip Hartigan: What medium/media do you chiefly use, and why?

Jina Wallwork: I mainly use paint or ink. Both contain great fluidity but can be controlled and structured. I enjoy finding a balance between control and release. There is a massive range of use in these materials and I discover more possibilities each day.

Philip Hartigan: What piece are you currently working on?

Jina Wallwork: I'm working on a series of drawings. It’s a very intuitive process.

Philip Hartigan: What creative surprises are happening in the current work?

Jina Wallwork: It is difficult to know where a piece is going. I find myself balancing shapes and structures. I don't have a picture in mind before I start, and I never know where a piece is headed. It is a path of constant surprises, but that is the nature of creativity. There isn't excessive analysis, just instinct and a feeling that permeates your work.


"Tree Loop," acrylic on canvas.


Philip Hartigan: What other artistic medium (or non-artistic activity) feeds your creative process?

Jina Wallwork: I also write. It is a part of the images I create. Creating art is like talking to your own soul. There is information within the painting that reveals aspects of who you are, and through writing I attempt to understand what each image reveals so easily as a visual. It’s an act of trying to translate your own visual language into a written language.

Philip Hartigan: What's the first ever piece of art you remember making?

Jina Wallwork: It was a drawing of a toy dog. As a child I had a tendency to draw my toys. There were some toys that I drew before I ever played with them—a strange process of studying them first, perhaps.


"Construction", mixed media


Philip Hartigan: Finally, and you can answer this in any way that's meaningful to you: why are you an artist?

Jina Wallwork: I don't know what it means to not be an artist.

If you liked this interview, and you'd like to keep up to date with the series, why not Subscribe, or sign-up via Google Connect, using one of the options over on the right? Thanks, and keep creating.

Popular posts from this blog

Restoring my Printing Press

I've just finished restoring and assembling my large etching press -- a six week process involving lots of rust removal, scrubbing with steel wool, and repainting. Here is a photo of the same kind of press from the Chicago Printmakers Collaborative: And here is a short YouTube video of me testing the press, making sure the motor still works after nearly seven years of lying in storage:

Brancusi in Plastic

Artist Mary Ellen Croteau is showing these columns made from recycled plastic cartons and lids in the window of the Columbia College bookstore on Michigan Avenue. They are a playful homage to Brancusi's "Endless Columns", with a serious environmental message for our times: Image copyright Inhabitat.com and Mary Ellen Croteau Mary Ellen also runs a wonderful experimental art gallery in a window space in west Chicago, called Art on Armitage . I will be exhibiting a mixed media piece there during August 2012.

How to etch a linoleum block

Linoleum as a material for printmaking has been used for nearly a hundred years now. Normally, you cut an image out using special gouges similar to woodcut tools, cutting away the lino around the image you want to print. This is called relief printmaking, because if you look at the block from the side, the material that remains stands up in relief from the backing material. You then roll ink with a brayer over the surface of the block, place paper over it, and either print by hand or run it through a press. You can do complex things this way (for example, reduction linocuts), but the beauty of the process is that it is quick, simple, and direct. Incised lino block, from me.redith.com Etched lino block, from Steve Edwards A few years ago, I saw some prints that were classified as coming from etched linoleum blocks, and I loved the textures I saw in them. In the last few months, I've been trying to use this technique in my own studio, learning about it as one does these d